Lo Tech Next G Mobile Phone to replace T2?

On 20 October 2012, the 1st anniversary of his passing, this forum was renamed Groovy's Campfire as a permanent reminder of Greg's pivotal role in the founding of Caravaners Forum.

Welcome to our Virtual Happy Hour.
Join in the discussions, or start your own thread, but all must remain within CF Rules.
Enjoy your time here.
Forum rules
On 20 October 2012, the 1st anniversary of his passing, this forum was renamed Groovy's Campfire as a permanent reminder of Greg's pivotal role in the founding of Caravaners Forum.

* Friendliness First. Please ensure that your whole post is respectful of the feelings and cultures of all others.

* Consider whether your post is more suited for another forum. See the index page for the full list.

* Assist your readers by making your topic heading as relevant and descriptive as possible.
eg. 'Dometic fridge not cold' - rather than 'Fridge'

*Do not post your email address in a public thread, this could taken and used in Spam. Use the PM system to safely include your email to another member.

Lo Tech Next G Mobile Phone to replace T2?

Postby PeterInSa » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:50 pm

In the next few weeks will get a call from the big T asking me to sign up for another 2 years, wondering about the best phone for my use..

Currently have a Telstra T2 (Blue Tick), a phone that I can connect to an external roof top aerial, use the alarm function/reminder messages, Telephone store No function, $10/$20 data ( 1gb/2Gb) plans to connect to laptop/desktop, with voicemail, Date/time on the screen ( don't wear a watch), and some Blue tooth for Handsfree. T2 has biggish screen and biggish keys to use without glasses.

I know Testra has developed the T3 for seniors, but this phone cannot connect an external directly to the phone, so do not want it.

When way out bush I want comms grunt ( good signal) not a toy to play games/apps on.

Any other phone out there,that has these Lo tech requirements. ex F165/CDMA user.

Thanks

Peter
PeterInSa

Tow Vehicle: Cruiser
Caravan/Motorhome Type: Traveller 21'6" Caravan
Partner's Name: Margaret
First Name:

Re: Lo Tech Next G Mobile Phone to replace T2?

Postby Old Techo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Peter, a man after my own heart. :ugeek:

Why get a new phone? Telstra would/should offer you another 12 months at a reduced rate because you now own the phone. My Samsung A412 was on a $20 plan for 2 years and since it ended I have twice extended with the same plan but at $15/month including $20 worth of calls. I intend to keep doing this. Worried about a lack of rural phones with a direct connect external antenna I bought 2 spare A412s.

Lo-tek and luving it :mrgreen:
Regards, OT
Old Techo

Tow Vehicle: 2007 Prado Auto Diesel
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2004 RoadStar Limited Edition
Partner's Name: Mrs OT
First Name: Old

Postby ozzie_traveller » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:06 am

G'day Peter

Agree with OT ^ here ~ luv the old-techo stuff > it works without the unnecessary complications

Phone-wise, I went for a Samsung A411 [a year or 2 ago] - dunno whether they're still available- but I got is from Big-W for $99 back then, got a Telstra 12months x $100 pre-paid connection which I use from time to time when I can't get optus. The phone connects to an external antenna and works quite okay [tho its menu system is a damn site more cumbersome than others I have used]

Regards, Phil
[ozzie_traveller@yahoo.com]
I support Freedom of Choice for camping around Australia,
see:- https://sites.google.com/site/FreedomCampingAustralia
ozzie_traveller

Tow Vehicle: .
Caravan/Motorhome Type: Sunliner EuroTrans motorhome
First Name: Phil

Postby Old Techo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:41 am

The A411 and A412 are the same phone. One is branded Telstra the other not.
Regards, OT
Old Techo

Tow Vehicle: 2007 Prado Auto Diesel
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2004 RoadStar Limited Edition
Partner's Name: Mrs OT
First Name: Old

Postby PeterInSa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:23 am

I like the Telstra $20 a month plan because it comes with My Hour, which when travelling use fairly heavily to keep in touch with family and friends. Will look at the SS if I cannot get another new T2.

Peter
PeterInSa

First Name:

Postby Toyman V8 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:01 am

On my second Samsung 5220, upgraded from the A411 :lol:
You won't beat these old type units for out in the bush with an external aerial.
Have the iPhone and iPad for the fun parts.
John
Landcruiser 100 Series TD towing 19' Bushtracker
"He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins"
John & Sandy
Toyman V8

Tow Vehicle: Landcruiser GXL 100 Series TD
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 19' Bushtracker
Partner's Name: Sandy
First Name: John

Postby PeterInSa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:52 pm

John,
According to my Net search the SS 5220 cannot act as a modem linking your laptop to the net, where as I understand the SS A412 cando
Do not know if the SS A412 is on Big T's current offers, along with the T2.

So the 5220 is not for me

Peter
PeterInSa

First Name:

Postby drylander » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:35 pm

Peter my contract ran out but Tel$ra never contacted me and my plan including the 'my hour' stayed the same. You must be a very valuable client if they ring you when the contract runs out. :lol:
The greatest inventionin the history of man is beer. Oh the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not as go nearly as well with pizza
drylander

Tow Vehicle: 1980swb Nissan diesel Patrol/1978 Fairlane marque
Love no computers in vehicles
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 1970's 15'6" Millard
Partner's Name: 'er indoors
First Name:

Return to Groovy's Campfire