Replacing jayco sterling interior light globes

This forum is for TECHNICAL ISSUES ONLY concerning Caravans, Motorhomes, Tow Vehicles and Towing.

For other topics and questions please check the Board Index to find the appropriate Forum.
Forum rules
Friendliness First. Please ensure that your whole post is respectful of the feelings and cultures of all others.
Consider whether your post is more suited for another forum. See the index page for the full list.
Assist your readers by making your topic heading as relevant and descriptive as possible.
Do not post your email address. This could then be used as Spam. Use the PM system (you can include your email in a PM though).

General Disclaimer. Comments and advice on this forum should be considered as general in nature, and you should always seek expert advice on matters that might affect yours and others safety, liability and insurance cover. These may include, but not be limited to, topics of electrical safety, gas installations, and caravan or vehicle modifications.

Please Note: Opinions, comments and statements of forum members may not reflect those of the owners/administrators/moderators or host. Any comment, recommendation, or opinion stated on this forum are those of the member alone and have no bearing on the owners/administrators/moderators or host of this forum.

Replacing jayco sterling interior light globes

Postby tassietourers » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi everyone I am hoping someone can give me some pointers as to how to remove interior down light globes from my Jayco Sterling Outback so that I can replace them with LED's. I am very new to caravans and generally I am not useless with tasks like this but I can't see how to do this at all. I have read lots of previous posts on LED lights including posts replacing the globes for lights other than down lights. As far as I can work out the appropriate replacement LED that I need is a MR11 0.9w. Can anyone help this newbie please.

Thank you

John :(
tassietourers

Tow Vehicle: Still searching
Caravan/Motorhome Type: Jayco Sterling Outback 19'6"
Partner's Name: Carolyn
First Name: John

Re: Replacing jayco sterling interior light globes

Postby Jacko » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:57 pm

Gday John I have a 2010 sterling which I believe was last one before the down lights went to LED's I have replaced all mine to LEDs this year the trick is to get some disposable rubber gloves first so you do not mark the ceiling then to remove the glass surround by pushing up against the ceiling and turning while there is pressure on the light the light housing remains in the ceiling, some are easy most are difficult that's why you need the gloves as I marked the ceiling in one spot. If you have a bathroom I'd start there mine has two there. Once you have removed the surround the globes are 2 pronged and just pull out horizontally. You can get the LEDs from caravan stockists I got most from eBay I'd have to look at what I bought to let you know what they were. As I said not easy but take your time try them all once you get one off you will see how they work. The ones under the overhead cupboards are very difficult I ended up dismantling them replaced the globe then reassembled them they are different with the 2 pins at the back.
Jacko

Tow Vehicle: Ute
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 21' van
First Name: Jacko

Postby tassietourers » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:18 am

Hi Jacko. Thanks for the info. I was hoping there was someone else out there like you that had already done this. I will give that a go now. Btw, was the main reason that you replaced the LED's in your van to save on battery usuage? Also apart from that can you remember if you fitted the cool white or warm white LED globes? Finally overall would you say the LED's are an improvement over the previous globes?
Thanks for all your advice

Cheers

John
tassietourers

Postby Jacko » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:32 am

Gday John yes Iower battery use and cool white and yes they are an improvement much brighter for reading I have not had extended stay free camping since they were installed we have 2 x 100 amp hour batteries and a DC to DC charger.
Jacko

Tow Vehicle: Ute
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 21' van
First Name: Jacko

Postby derb » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:53 am

The LED's are definitely worth while - they use only 1 watt thereabouts as opposed to the original halogens drawing 10 watts. The only lamp we hav'nt replaced is the flouro in the bathroom and it is to be done soon. You won't regret it. :D
Brian D. (Ex-Mechanic)
derb

Tow Vehicle: 2004 LC100 Limited (NZ New) T/D Auto (5 sp).
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2014, NZ Southern Star 720, Centre kitch/Rear bathroom. Certified Self Contained for 4.
Partner's Name: Alison & pooch
First Name: Brian

Postby pcm947 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:08 am

Are these the type you are looking for: http://www.ledshoponline.com/caravan-mo ... -LED-bulbs ?

You would be very happy with the $14 ones. I prefer cool white. Note that these are far better quality than the generally available ones on eBay.

(Just a user!)
Peter
Waiting for Daily 4x4 build: Recent motorcamper http://www.manins.net.au/motorhome/sitemap.html
pcm947

Tow Vehicle: Waiting for Daily 4x4 build
Caravan/Motorhome Type: TravelTrucks Expedition Camper
Partner's Name: Jannette
First Name: Peter

Postby tassietourers » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:16 am

To Jacko, Brian and Peter, many thanks. As I said in my original post we are very much newbies to the world of caravanning and any information others can provide is very much appreciated.

Thanks again.

John
tassietourers

Postby shortstick » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:56 am

I have just bought the round LED that is shown by pcm947 and the pins are a little too long and I can't put the outside ring back on.

Is it safe and ok to trim the pins a little with a good wire cutter so the light actually fits into the fitting a bit more and then the outside ring might fit, on mine?????
Common Sense isn't common any more.

Prado + Jayco Discovery = Great trips and holidays
shortstick

Tow Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Landcruiser Prado auto diesel
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2008 Jayco Discovery Poptop Outback
Partner's Name: Vickie or HM

Postby Lance » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:58 am

I've trimmed legs on other LEDs with no bad results.
Go on, be a devil :)
05 NP Auto DiD Pajero
Home Built Teardrop Camper
2008 HiAce Campervan
Grew up in Auto Spare Parts
Now in Domestic Appliance Spare Parts
Lance
Admin

Tow Vehicle: 2005 NP Pajero 'Platinum' DiD Auto
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2012 Teardrop Camper. 'T.D.Stubby'
2008 SLWB HiAce Campervan.
Partner's Name: Anne, she's a good'n
First Name: Lance

Postby shortstick » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:24 am

Thanks Lance, will give it a go.
Merry Christmas!!!
Common Sense isn't common any more.

Prado + Jayco Discovery = Great trips and holidays
shortstick

Tow Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Landcruiser Prado auto diesel
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2008 Jayco Discovery Poptop Outback
Partner's Name: Vickie or HM

Return to TECHNICAL Forum - Caravans, Motorhomes, Vehicles and Towing.