Solar Panels - How do I install them ?

This forum is for TECHNICAL ISSUES ONLY concerning Caravans, Motorhomes, Tow Vehicles and Towing.

For other topics and questions please check the Board Index to find the appropriate Forum.
Forum rules
Friendliness First. Please ensure that your whole post is respectful of the feelings and cultures of all others.
Consider whether your post is more suited for another forum. See the index page for the full list.
Assist your readers by making your topic heading as relevant and descriptive as possible.
Do not post your email address. This could then be used as Spam. Use the PM system (you can include your email in a PM though).

General Disclaimer. Comments and advice on this forum should be considered as general in nature, and you should always seek expert advice on matters that might affect yours and others safety, liability and insurance cover. These may include, but not be limited to, topics of electrical safety, gas installations, and caravan or vehicle modifications.

Please Note: Opinions, comments and statements of forum members may not reflect those of the owners/administrators/moderators or host. Any comment, recommendation, or opinion stated on this forum are those of the member alone and have no bearing on the owners/administrators/moderators or host of this forum.

Solar Panels - How do I install them ?

Postby Geecee » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:39 am

Not sure what happened to my last post. In it I asked for advice on installing a solar panel on the roof of my pop top. I have no idea where to start. Should I buy one on ebay and just follow instructions or has some clever forumite done this before and be able to give me directions?
Geecee

Tow Vehicle: 2004 Petrol Prado GXL
Caravan/Motorhome Type: A'Van Marion
Partner's Name: Gail
First Name:

Re: Solar Panels

Postby densue » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:03 am

GeeGee
This is how I mounted my panels on my pop top I bought 2x140wt panels off e-bay and instead of having a solar regulator I used a c-tec d250s dual charger as the MPPT regulator and positioned it next to the battery's and am utilising the alternator function with a lead from the tug to assist the solar when traveling.
I run the 6mmBS wire down under the cover strip and up into the boot instead of drilling holes in van this way if you change vans you don't have to go the expense of buying a solar setup again you can remove it with little showing it was there
Hope this assist's you this set up has worked well for me and I now leave the genny at home just remember to leave enough slack in cable to allow for roof raised
Denis

Image Image
1996 4.2 Diesel GQ SWB Nissan Patrol & 16' Regal 4x4 Desert Series Poptop
densue

Tow Vehicle: 1996 SWB GQ 4.2 Diesel Nissan Patrol
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2001 16' Regal Desert Series Off-road Pop Top
Partner's Name: Suzanne
First Name: Denis

Re: Solar Panels - How do I install them ?

Postby Geecee » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:42 am

Thanks Densue for your reply. Tell me how you attached the panels to your roof. Did you use some type of glue and channel. Photos are good but don't tell me how you attached them.

Thanks in advance.
Geecee

First Name:

Postby Lance » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:11 am

05 NP Auto DiD Pajero
Home Built Teardrop Camper
2008 HiAce Campervan
Grew up in Auto Spare Parts
Now in Domestic Appliance Spare Parts
Lance
Admin

Tow Vehicle: 2005 NP Pajero 'Platinum' DiD Auto
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2012 Teardrop Camper. 'T.D.Stubby'
2008 SLWB HiAce Campervan.
Partner's Name: Anne, she's a good'n
First Name: Lance

Postby mick659s » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:51 pm

Gooday geecee. There are at least 20 you tubes videos on mounting slor panels to caravans & motorhomes ,i havnt checked them all out but a couple of them seem OK Regards Mick
mick659s

Tow Vehicle: 76 Series Landcruiser
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 18ft6" Kedron ATV
Partner's Name: jean
First Name:

Postby densue » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:09 am

Geecee
I have made up an alum frame to sit the panels in for the sole reason if I sell the van I can remove and save having to buy them again
They are bolted to the outside frame through the end blocks I have had no problem with vibrations and are just clear of thne roof in the middle material used was 50x50 x2mm alum
Im up the coast at present and will try to get a betterphoto and pm them to you
Rgds Denis
1996 4.2 Diesel GQ SWB Nissan Patrol & 16' Regal 4x4 Desert Series Poptop
densue

Tow Vehicle: 1996 SWB GQ 4.2 Diesel Nissan Patrol
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2001 16' Regal Desert Series Off-road Pop Top
Partner's Name: Suzanne
First Name: Denis

Postby Geecee » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:50 am

Thanks everyone.

I wonder if I buy a folding kit on ebay can I remove the stand and install it on the roof of my pop top? There are corner blocks that I understand you can glue to the roof with Sikaflex or similar. Has anyone had experience with this method or is it out of the question?
Geecee

First Name:

Postby DavidofCoburg » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:38 am

I bought some lengths of aluminium and cut into strips to use as brackets for mounting. After attaching to the solar panels I then screwed the brackets to the roof with Sikaflex under the brackets as a bonding and sealing agent. I located the roof rafters using a stud finder.
I used six brackets for each panel and in hindsight four would have been adequate.

DavidofCoburg

Location: Blackburn VIC. CF Member Since 2004 (as Blinky2000)
Tow Vehicle: LC 100TD
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2008 Jayco Sterling 24.75-2
First Name:

Postby Geecee » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:02 am

Great advice guys. Look forward to more. Thanks again.
Geecee

First Name:

Postby Possum52 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:00 pm

DavidofCoburg wrote:I bought some lengths of aluminium and cut into strips to use as brackets for mounting. After attaching to the solar panels I then screwed the brackets to the roof with Sikaflex under the brackets as a bonding and sealing agent. I located the roof rafters using a stud finder.
I used six brackets for each panel and in hindsight four would have been adequate.

ditto for me.. :D :D
cheers
Gary
Life is too short, make the most of it.
Possum52

Tow Vehicle: 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited Diesel in White
Caravan/Motorhome Type: Jayco Sterling 23.72.1
Partner's Name: Mrs Possum
First Name:

Postby Kim » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:57 pm

Possum52 wrote:
DavidofCoburg wrote:I bought some lengths of aluminium and cut into strips to use as brackets for mounting. After attaching to the solar panels I then screwed the brackets to the roof with Sikaflex under the brackets as a bonding and sealing agent. I located the roof rafters using a stud finder.

ditto for me.. :D :D
cheers
Gary

Double ditto for me :D
Kim

You have a choice of a fast life or a long life, it is rare to have both so choose wisely.
Kim
Admin

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Mazda BT 50 GT Dual Cab 4x4 with heaps of goodies.
Caravan/Motorhome Type: Sunland Patriot SE #78
Partner's Name: Sandra
First Name: Kim

Return to TECHNICAL Forum - Caravans, Motorhomes, Vehicles and Towing.