Roadstar Caravans

This forum is for TECHNICAL ISSUES ONLY concerning Caravans, Motorhomes, Tow Vehicles and Towing.

For other topics and questions please check the Board Index to find the appropriate Forum.
Forum rules
Friendliness First. Please ensure that your whole post is respectful of the feelings and cultures of all others.
Consider whether your post is more suited for another forum. See the index page for the full list.
Assist your readers by making your topic heading as relevant and descriptive as possible.
Do not post your email address. This could then be used as Spam. Use the PM system (you can include your email in a PM though).

General Disclaimer. Comments and advice on this forum should be considered as general in nature, and you should always seek expert advice on matters that might affect yours and others safety, liability and insurance cover. These may include, but not be limited to, topics of electrical safety, gas installations, and caravan or vehicle modifications.

Please Note: Opinions, comments and statements of forum members may not reflect those of the owners/administrators/moderators or host. Any comment, recommendation, or opinion stated on this forum are those of the member alone and have no bearing on the owners/administrators/moderators or host of this forum.

Roadstar Caravans

Postby Craigandvanessa » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi All,
Can anyone give me some comments good or bad on the Roadstar Caravans, in particular we are looking at the New Safari Tamer......
Thanks in advance
Craigandvanessa

Tow Vehicle: 2006 100 series Landcruiser T/D auto, EFS Suspension
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2011 Regent Brentwood with all the fruit and more
Partner's Name: Vanessa
First Name:

Re: Roadstar Caravans

Postby Almost_A_Nomad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:50 pm

We have a23'6" 2006 Roadstar Trackvan. Initially we had some minor problems with a small water leak from the Everpure filter and some crap stapling where the staples actually missed the timber altogether. All were fixed by the dealer no problems. We've taken it over a lot of dirt roads and had no problems. Build quality is very good. Good ventilation and plenty of lights for night time (although I've just upgraded all the lights to LED). We have the seperate shower/toilet and bunks. We're happy with the layout. The van is very solid and we need the 4.2 Patrol to tow it, but it follows the car beautifully and never had any sway etc
We would certainly buy another Roadstar. Before buying ours we spoke to a number of owners and they were all happy
Good luck with it
Peter
Almost_A_Nomad

Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2006 Roadstar Trackvan -23'6" and 2003 4.2 Patrol
First Name:

Postby grandog » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:53 pm

Craigandvanessa wrote:Hi All,
Can anyone give me some comments good or bad on the Roadstar Caravans, in particular we are looking at the New Safari Tamer......
Thanks in advance

Hi Craigandvanessa
The cook and I looked at the Safari Tamer at the same time as the Lotus we are now buying. It was available from the same dealer, so we were able to look at them pretty much side by side. Very similar designs, but the biggest factors were pricing and weight.

Weight also came into it. A fully worked ST with Simplicity suspension goes about 2500kg tare. The Control Rider suspension will add a further 50-100kg, so it's really starting to get up there.

It's always a personal choice, but in the end (from our point of view) the Lotus won out. That said, we don't get the free Trail-a-Mate jack Roadstar is giving away with the ST. :cry:
Cheers, Grandog (Col)
CPA on the retired list. Over 40 years in banking and finance and complete electrical dunce.
grandog

Location: Formerly Central Coast NSW, now travelling full time
Tow Vehicle: 2011 WK2 Jeep GC Laredo CRD with QL. 2014 model with QL and ORAII on order.
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2011 19'6" Lotus Freelander with rough road spec (The Trooplander)
Partner's Name: Sue
First Name: Colin

Postby Alan 41 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:36 pm

I'm amazed our resident Roadstar man Macka hasn't replied.
Must be having an early night. :D :D
We started with nothing and still have some left

Retired truckie & transport contracts manager.

Nissan Camp-Urvan.
Alan 41

Tow Vehicle: SWMBO =2003 Commodore Berlina sedan.
Caravan/Motorhome Type: HWDAHT.1986 Nissan CampUrvan pop top (WIZZBANG)
Partner's Name: Mel.
First Name: Alan but prefer Al.

Postby ozjohn » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:05 am

The Roadstars that macca and Almost_A_Nomad have were built before the demise of the original Roadstar/Compass brand.
The brands were resurrected by the old Roadstar chassis builder and are being marketed under the original names, Roadstar & Compass.
While not impressed with the interior finish the first few models they displaced at caravan shows a couple of years ago, that have steadily improved. I my personal opinion thay can stand beside many of the other well known middle price range vans.
They have also introduced a thinner section Hi -tensile chassis that they claim has less weight with improved strength.
Ozjohn.
ACC V00118 - Retired Engineer, Ex Park Owner & Caravan Consultant.
ozjohn
Honoured Member

Location: Mornington Peninsula Vic - " permanently on the road "
Tow Vehicle: Holden 2.8 Colorado
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 17'6" Roma Elegance Pop Top.
Partner's Name: Jane
First Name: John

Postby macka17 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:11 am

Hmmm.

I did do a reply around 3 30\40 this morn.

Off with the fairies somewhere it looks like.

Yep. I reckon they a good van.
Providing they up to the quality of previous build.
One of the better made vans in mid range pricing.

Traveller. Evernew. them. and a coupla others, I'd pick from.

I'm on my fourth (One Compass Pop Top).
Couldn't fault any of them.
and would buy again. No Problems.

Macka17
Ubiqutous Poootrol 3 ltr. Roadstar 6.5mtr van.Tinnie on roof.

OH. And. What goes around. DOES come around. Eventually.
macka17

Tow Vehicle: '02 3ltr Patrol
Caravan/Motorhome Type: Roadstar 6.5mtr safari pack.2000 model.
Partner's Name: My missus
First Name:

Postby bellaboo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi Craig and Vanessa,

We have a 2011 Roadstar Limited Edition, which we purchased to replace our 2004 Compass Limited Edition, main reason we wanted full ensuite and an oven. Having said that, we were more than happy with our Compass and are equally impressed with our Roadstar. Build quality is excellent and finish looks superb.

When we were looking to replace the Compass we did look at other vans, but the build quality and value for money with the Roadstar came out on top.

Would happily buy another one.

Bellaboo
Happy just wandering...........
bellaboo

Location: At the moment changing daily......Berrigan, then sth out of the heat!!
Tow Vehicle: 2009 Landcruiser 200 series TTD with Sahara Bar, OME and Polyair suspension
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2011 Roadstar LE 21' with full ensuite, waiting for 2014 Offroad Safari Tamer...
Partner's Name: Kaz and Bella(SWMBO)
First Name:

Return to TECHNICAL Forum - Caravans, Motorhomes, Vehicles and Towing.