WDH Vs Airbags Vs Sway bars Vs Nothing fitted

This forum is for TECHNICAL ISSUES ONLY concerning Caravans, Motorhomes, Tow Vehicles and Towing.

For other topics and questions please check the Board Index to find the appropriate Forum.
Forum rules
Friendliness First. Please ensure that your whole post is respectful of the feelings and cultures of all others.
Consider whether your post is more suited for another forum. See the index page for the full list.
Assist your readers by making your topic heading as relevant and descriptive as possible.
Do not post your email address. This could then be used as Spam. Use the PM system (you can include your email in a PM though).

General Disclaimer. Comments and advice on this forum should be considered as general in nature, and you should always seek expert advice on matters that might affect yours and others safety, liability and insurance cover. These may include, but not be limited to, topics of electrical safety, gas installations, and caravan or vehicle modifications.

Please Note: Opinions, comments and statements of forum members may not reflect those of the owners/administrators/moderators or host. Any comment, recommendation, or opinion stated on this forum are those of the member alone and have no bearing on the owners/administrators/moderators or host of this forum.

WDH Vs Airbags Vs Sway bars Vs Nothing fitted

Postby 45&bald » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Guys I am seeking best advice on a conundrum that I need to solve, I am sure this would of been discussed in the past, all opinions are sought on the following.
Our 100 series cruiser is about to be connected to our brand new Concept Icon Blitz 19ft family van, van has a ball weight of 160kg and a grosse of 2.6 ton . As a dual axle van, should I be fitting "sway bars or a WDH" , or is it all unneccessary ?? or should I consider fitting airbags to my rear springs which is essentially going to balance the car the same as a "WDh" ?? Does a WDH offer any valid assistance to anti sway? Or do only dedicated sway bars offer the "real deal"
I really need to cover all bases ASAP, our first trip is looming and due to work commitments am going to be hitting the road "blind" as we won't have time to do a "round the corner trip"

Thanks
45&bald

Tow Vehicle: 2010 Toyota vdj78 GXL V8 troop carrier
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 19ft concept icon blitz, tandem axle, family van, bush pack.
Partner's Name: Louise
First Name: Martin

Re: WDH Vs Airbags Vs Sway bars Vs Nothing fitted

Postby nswoutback » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Perhaps go to "view active posts"

There are about four threads running - in the last 24 hours which are very closely related to the questions you ask
Andrew

ajp ... Step one, collect the facts
nswoutback

Tow Vehicle: Ford.
Caravan/Motorhome Type: Next purchase - van with the works
First Name:

Postby Silver Gypsies » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi 45&bald

Welcome, lots of good info on the forum.

You will need a wdh, and after reading the threads on it, you will see why.

Air bags can always be added after, but they do not take the place of a wdh.

I see your Land cruiser doesn't have a turbo. You might find putting a turbo on the lc will help with towing your new van.

Take your time, you will know what you need after a few trips and talking to all the experts you meet along the way.

Safe travels and enjoy the adventure.

Dave
Silver Gypsies
Dave & Vivienne
100 Series TD Auto
Phoenix Nomad

"Time Millionaires "
Silver Gypsies

Tow Vehicle: Landcruiser 100 series TD auto
Caravan/Motorhome Type: Phoenix Nomad single axle
Partner's Name: Vivienne
First Name: David

Postby Cruiserman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:28 pm

There have been two other threads on the same subject in the last 24 hours.

See here-
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29885

And here-
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29915

Edit: Here is another. It started off on a slightly different topic, but moved to this one during the discussion. -
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29890
Steve
(Cruiserman)
"When in danger, When in doubt, Run in circles, Scream and shout."
Cruiserman
Admin

Tow Vehicle: Mitsubishi FK415 medium rigid truck
Caravan/Motorhome Type: Nine metre home made 5th wheeler.
Lots of toys :)
Partner's Name: Laurie
First Name: Steve

Postby ozjohn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:18 am

45&bald
Forget ant ball weight figure that maybe stamped on the vans VIN Plate as it have no relevance to the realities of towing a loaded van.
The important ball weight is when the van is fully loaded, and it will need substantially higher than the 160Kg you posted.
Cheers, ozjohn.
ACC V00118 - Retired Engineer, Ex Park Owner & Caravan Consultant.
ozjohn
Honoured Member

Location: Mornington Peninsula Vic - " permanently on the road "
Tow Vehicle: Holden 2.8 Colorado
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 17'6" Roma Elegance Pop Top.
Partner's Name: Jane
First Name: John

Postby tom_cruiser_r69 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:43 am

Airbags are not designed specifically for towing a caravan. They have everything to do with the weight in the back of your vehicle when you are not towing. I have an 80 Series onto which I fitted airbags to assist the springs with the load in the back. Once this is sorted and the vehicle is level, I hitch the caravan on and then use my WDH to level the combination of van and vehicle.

I don't use sway bars so I can't comment on their effectiveness.

Tom
"Indecision is the key to flexibility"
tom_cruiser_r69

Tow Vehicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 L
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2006 Regent Cruiser Series 3
Partner's Name: Ms Cruiser
First Name: Tom

Postby marpete » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:48 am

On my previous 100 Series TD Cruiser I installed Firestone airbags ( inside the coils ) to compensate for the weight in the back and on the roofrack, and I used an Eazlift WDH for the reasons discussed many times on this forum. I have the same arrangement in my 200 Series Cruiser, providing excellent stability on the road, although I disconnect the WDH in any situation involving sudden changes in road incline.
Off topic, but I think your van is going to make your naturally aspirated 100 Series puff a bit......I fitted a turbo, intercooler and 3" exhaust to my first naturally aspirated 100 Series which made a world of difference.......if you move down this path, have it fitted by an expert using a 4WD dyno and make sure the Exhaust gas Temp (EGT) does not exceed about 475 C under full engine load.
marpete

Tow Vehicle: 200 Series T/D Landcruiser (2012 update)
Caravan/Motorhome Type: Paramount 22' 6" with 6" chassis, 3.5T simplicity suspension, Cooper ST's, Tregg etc
First Name:

Postby Bill King » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:00 pm

A WDH hitch if correctly installed, restores the weight to the front wheels of the tow vehicle thereby restoring the best possible braking performance. The 160 kg ball weight would remove around 65 kg from the front wheels of your Cruiser, and while this does not seem significant it can have a very negative effect on braking performance when you need it most especially on wet bitumen and/or gravel roads. In my opinion, and I believe I am correct, sway bars are totally unneccesary if the van is loaded with sufficient weight on the tow ball. Air bags will restore the ride height and nothing more, they will do absolutely nothing to restore weight to the front wheels, therefore will do nothing to restore the lost breaking performance.
Hope you find this of some help.
Bill King.
Bill King

Tow Vehicle: 1996 Toyota Prado
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 15' x 7' Koala Advance Caravan 1988 Model
Partner's Name: Kay King
First Name:

Postby Anythingonce » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Bill King wrote:A WDH hitch if correctly installed, restores the weight to the front wheels of the tow vehicle thereby restoring the best possible braking performance.

Air bags will restore the ride height and nothing more, they will do absolutely nothing to restore weight to the front wheels, therefore will do nothing to restore the lost breaking performance.
Hope you find this of some help.
Bill King.

Bill
An analysis of load shift under braking with/without WDH does not support these statements

Scott
Anythingonce

Tow Vehicle: Landrover Discovery 3
Caravan/Motorhome Type: None yet
Partner's Name: Clare
First Name:

Postby dazby » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Bill King wrote:In my opinion, and I believe I am correct, sway bars are totally unneccesary if the van is loaded with sufficient weight on the tow ball.

Don't forget, it's more than just weight on the towball - you need to make sure the mass is centralised as well. Dont move stuff at or near centre of gravity away from cog, but if possible move stuff that is well to the rear of cog forward of cog instead (like rear tyre carrier to drawbar) The ideal stable van would probably be like a black hole, located about 8-10% of the way between the axle and coupling (ie the mass very tightly clustered in that spot - no heavy things to store rotational energy when things start moving).

I think the reverse is true too - don't move stuff to the very rear of the van to reduce ball weight.
Darren
dazby

Tow Vehicle: Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 R
Caravan/Motorhome Type: 2008 Adria 532UP
First Name:

Postby hotqld » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:29 pm

I was looking at WDH and anti sway and came across this:
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Weight_ ... ution.aspx
Specifically the equal-is-er ...patents pending
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribu ... -1000.html

With combined sway and WDH, the anti sway is working on 4 contact points...seemed quite clever
Damm I allready have WDH so will have to settle on anti sway add ons.

From a newbies impression on caravan accidents there appears to be quite a few "Freak" accidents with caravans overturning with WDH but I havnt seen any yet with antisway fitted as well, I am forming a opinion that WDH is only half the system sway control needs to be installed as well especially if your caravan is the same weight or a little more than the tow vechile.
Regards Tony ..
Towing over 2500kg, with safety and stability enhancement in mind:
WDH, Friction sway Bars, Tuson Brake and Electronic Sway Control.
hotqld

Tow Vehicle: Jeep Grand Cheeroke WH 3 ltr CRD.
Tuson Brake and Sway Control
Caravan/Motorhome Type: Lite Weight Funfinder 24 foot .
Slide out
WDH, Friction Sway Bars
Tuson Brake controller and ESC
Partner's Name: Ruth
First Name: Tony

Return to TECHNICAL Forum - Caravans, Motorhomes, Vehicles and Towing.